Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Salute: Remembering 'Band of Brothers'

My name is Joe Cianciotto. I’m a movie fanatic, but I also love a well-made TV show. Probably, the most well-made single-season TV show I’ve seen is "Band of Brothers."

Image source: hdwallsource.com

Steven Spielberg’s "Saving Private Ryan" is my number one war movie of all-time, and "Band of Brothers" complements it and adds so much more.

Produced by both Spielberg and Tom Hanks and released by HBO in 2001, "Band of Brothers" takes us all on the journey of Easy Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment of the 101st Airborne Division. At times harrowing, sometimes introspective, this brilliant and stunning series has left me in tears more than times than I can imagine watching a series.

Image source: hbocanada.com
The episodes take us through the training, and afterwards a number of the most important operations of Easy Company. They conduct recons and raids and hold their ground against all odds in the rain and the murdering winter cold. They gain ground but lose scores of their brothers while fighting for the Allies in the greatest war humanity has ever known.

I don’t personally know a WWII veteran, but I feel now like I do. Because of the series, I’ve gained a different insight into what it means to be a soldier, fighting for what you believe is right, and what it means to have brothers who are in no way related to you by blood.

Do you like "Band of Brothers" too? Message me, Joe Cianciotto, on the comment section below and let’s discuss more epic TV series.

Joe Cianciotto is an architect based in the San Francisco Bay Area. Aside from architecture, Joe loves movies. More musings from him here.

No comments:

Post a Comment